How to Apply
The mission of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) is to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage. Included in the hunting heritage part of this mission is supporting the education and development of professionals grounded in the North American Model of Wildlife Management.
The RMEF’s Wildlife Leadership Awards (WLA) scholarship program was established in 1991 to "recognize, encourage and promote leadership among future wildlife management professionals." The awards are presented to undergraduate wildlife students, and currently carry a $3,000 scholarship and a one-year membership to RMEF.
The awards include the Torstenson Family Endowment WLA, established in memory of Bob Torstenson (1950-2002) and the Gerald L. (Jerry) Turpin WLA, established in memory of Gerald L. (Jerry) Turpin (1977-2001). Recipients of both awards are selected from the same pool of applicants.
By the completion of the spring semester/quarter, applicants must:
- Be an undergraduate in a wildlife related natural resource program in a four-year college/university in the United States or Canada. It is acceptable to be transferring from a two-year college to a four-year institution.
- Have at least a junior standing (completed a minimum of 56 semester hours or 108 quarter hours).
- Have at least one semester or two quarters remaining in your degree program.
- Be scheduled to be enrolled as a full-time student for the following fall semester/quarter.
- Have not previously received a RMEF Wildlife Leadership Award. Previous recipients are ineligible.
Your application must be postmarked no later than March 1, 2018.
Each application will be screened by the RMEF Scholarship Committee. Final decisions on the Torstenson Family Endowment WLA will be made by the Committee, and final decisions on the Gerald L. Turpin WLA will be made by the Turpin Family. Award recipients will be announced by July, with result notifications e-mailed to both awardees and non-awardees. Scholarships will be awarded at the beginning of the fall semester/quarter upon RMEF’s receipt of completed awardee documentation.
- Complete the fillable Scholarship Application Form.
• Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
• Your Release & Certification signature needs to be signed, not typed.
- Have your Department Head/Chairperson complete and sign their designated section University Verification.
• Their signature must be signed, not typed.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation from department faculty, employer, or a volunteer supervisor.
• Encourage references to stress your leadership qualities.
- Submit all parts of the application together in one application package (including application, university signature, and letters of recommendation) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The preferred submittal method is via e-mail at email@example.com.
• Your documents can be combined and saved as one file or saved as individual files, as long as they are submitted together in one e-mail.
• If your application package is e-mailed by university staff, RMEF will e-mail confirmation of receipt to both the submitter and to you as the applicant.
• If you need to mail your materials, send to Attn: Wildlife Leadership Awards, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, 5705 Grant Creek Road, Missoula, MT 59808.
• Please do not fax application materials.
• If you do not receive acknowledgement of your application receipt within four weeks, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For additional information:
• To learn more about RMEF, visit www.rmef.org.
• For questions or to confirm receipt, email email@example.com or call (800)225-5355, ext. 264.