How to Apply
The mission of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) is to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage. Included in the hunting heritage part of this mission is supporting the education and development of professionals grounded in the North American Model of Wildlife Management.
The RMEF’s Wildlife Leadership Awards (WLA) scholarship program was established in 1991 to "recognize, encourage and promote leadership among future wildlife management professionals." The awards are presented to undergraduate wildlife students, and currently carry a $3,000 scholarship and a one-year membership to RMEF.
The awards include the Torstenson Family Endowment WLA, established in memory of Bob Torstenson (1950-2002) and the Gerald L. (Jerry) Turpin WLA, established in memory of Gerald L. (Jerry) Turpin (1977-2001). Recipients of both awards are selected from the same pool of applicants.
By the start of the 2019 fall quarter/semester, applicant must:
- Be an undergraduate in a wildlife related natural resource program in a four-year college/university in the United States or Canada. It is acceptable to be transferring from a two-year college to a four-year institution.
- Have at least a junior standing, as verified by applicant’s college/university.
- Have at least one semester or two quarters remaining in degree program.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student for the 2019 fall semester/quarter. This will be verified with awardee’s college/university in the fall before scholarship funds are distributed.
- Have not previously received a RMEF Wildlife Leadership Award. Previous recipients are ineligible.
Applications must be emailed no later than March 1, 2019.
Each application will be screened by the RMEF Scholarship Committee. Final decisions on the Torstenson Family Endowment WLA will be made by the Committee, and final decisions on the Gerald L. Turpin WLA will be made by the Turpin Family. Award recipients will be announced by June 15, with notifications e-mailed to both awardees and non-awardees. Scholarship funding will be awarded at the beginning of the fall semester/quarter upon receipt of RMEF’s required documentation.
- Complete the Scholarship Application Form.
• The application is a fillable document in Microsoft Word format. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
• Applicant’s Release & Certification signature must be signed, not typed.
- Have your Department Head / Chairperson complete and sign their University Verification page.
• Department signature must be signed, not typed.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation from department faculty, employer, or volunteer supervisor.
• Encourage references to stress your leadership qualities.
• You may submit the letters with your application or your references may email them directly to email@example.com.
- Submit all parts of the application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• RMEF will e-mail confirmation of receipt.
• If you do not receive acknowledgement of your application receipt within two weeks, contact email@example.com.
• Please do not mail a hard copy of your application.
- For additional information:
• To learn more about RMEF, visit www.rmef.org.
• For questions or to confirm receipt, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Quick Checklist
- Application form, including seven essay questions.
- Release and Certification section signed by applicant.
- University Verification completed and signed by Department Head or Chairperson.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Emailed by March 1, 2019.