Sweet, salty and snack-worthy. Thin venison slices are given a bath in a sweet and salty marinade and smoked over our classic Big Game hardwood for some big time flavor. Stick that in your back pocket.
Prep Time– 20 MINUTES
Cook Time– 4 HOURS
Pellets– BIG GAME BLEND
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
- 2 Pound venison
- Teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Cup soy sauce
- Cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoon star anise
- 1 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- With a sharp knife, slice venison into 1/4 inch thick slices. Trim any fat or connective tissue.
- Add all ingredients except venison to a bowl and whisk. Then add venison slices and mix to combine.
- Transfer contents of bowl to a large resealable bag and seal, removing as much air as possible. Place in fridge to marinate overnight.
- When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 165℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke if available.
- Arrange the meat in a single layer directly on the grill grate. Sprinkle with a little more white pepper, ground clove, ground cinnamon, star anise and nutmeg.
- Smoke for 4 to 5 hours, or until the jerky is dry but still chewy and somewhat pliant when you bend it.
- Remove from Traeger and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 1 hour. Store in an air tight container or resealable bag in refrigerator. Enjoy!
Check out other great wild game recipes from Traeger here.