PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 4 Hours
The best Thanksgiving turkey recipe calls for simple spices & primal wood-fired flavor. Traeger is your recipe for success.
- 1/2 Pound butter
- 6 Clove garlic, minced
- 8 Sprig fresh thyme
- 1 Sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 20 Pound (12 lb) whole turkey
- Set the grill temperature to 300℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter with minced garlic, thyme leaves, chopped rosemary, black pepper and kosher salt.
- Prep the turkey by separating the skin from the breast creating a pocket to stuff the butter-herb mixture in. Cover the entire breast with 1/4″ thickness of butter mixture.
- Season the whole turkey with kosher salt and black pepper. Optional: Stuff turkey cavity with Traditional Stuffing recipe. When ready to cook, set the grill temperature to 300℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Place turkey on the grill and smoke for 3-4 hours. Check the internal temperature, the desired temperature is 175℉ in the thigh next to the bone, and 160℉ in the breast. Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165℉ in the breast.