Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 2 Whole Dried Guajillo Chiles, Stemmed And Seeded
- 2 Whole Dried Ancho Chiles, Stemmed And Seeded
- 4 Whole Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
- 2 Whole Orange, Juiced
- 2 Whole Lime, Juiced
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 4 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Salt
- 3 Pound Elk Flank Steak
- Tortillas, For Serving
- Fresh Lime, For Serving
- Sliced Avocado, For Serving
- Sliced Jalapeños, For Serving
- 1 Bunch Cilantro, For Serving
- Plan ahead, this elk flank steak marinates overnight. In a medium bowl, pour 1-1/2 cups boiling water over the dried chiles. Top with a plate to weigh chiles down and keep them completely submerged. Soak the chiles for 30 minutes, or until completely rehydrated.
- In a blender pitcher, combine rehydrated chiles, chipotle peppers, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, cumin, brown sugar and salt. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture over the flank and marinate overnight.
- When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 225℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke if available.
- Place the steak directly on the grill grate and smoke for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 110℉.
- When the internal temperature of the steaks is 110℉, remove from the grill.
- Increase Traeger temperature to 500℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- When the Traeger is up to temperature, place the steaks back on the grill grate and sear for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature is between 125℉ to 130℉ for medium-rare.
- Remove steaks from the Traeger and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. To serve, warm the tortillas, add elk steak to tortilla and top with avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime or any toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Looking for more cooking inspiration? Traeger has pellet grill recipes that let you grill, smoke, braise, bake, roast and BBQ.